Monday, June 11, 2012

Tablet Users Are Geezer Couch Potatoes?

In this article, author Brian Proffitt talks about recent research that shows most tablet users are likely to be older which goes against many theories. The report came from comScore, which also conducted a poll that found most smartphone users also use or own tablets, unlike those who do not own a smartphone. In the report it isn't stated why most tablet users are older, but Proffitt offers some of his own theories. He believes most people who own smartphones would also be interested in tablets because the apps can be used across devices (getting the most for their money), the onscreen keyboard is quite large and doesn't require an external mouse, and most people who own a smartphone are expected to be more interested in tablets. The largest group using a tablet ranged from ages 25-44 and the next largest group were those aging 65 and older. This statistic was shocking and says a lot for the tablet market. Most businesses want tablets to be used in the workforce, but most people 65 and older are already retired, meaning they won't be used in the workforce. This isn't to say that tablets won't be used in businesses at all, but the majority of tablet users are already done working.
In my opinion, I think tablets are being used by older people because the screen resolution is very clear and videos or Internet pages are very easy to see and read. Also, the keyboard is very large and easier to use than the keyboard on a smartphone. 

1 comment:

  1. I also found this article's statistics a bit amazing, but I am not really surprised. A number of teachers in my building...including myself...LOVE our iPads!!! We also fall into that 25-44 range for the most part! I don't like browsing the web on my smartphone, but I find the iPad very easy to use this way. I also LOVE all the education apps it offers, and I love to be able to read books, listen to music, etc. I am a definite tablet fan...BUT I also have a laptop, a smartphone, and a netbook. Maybe I'm just a geek :)

    ReplyDelete