Monday, June 18, 2012

Raising a Reader

In the article, Raising a Reader: Read Every Day, one quote really stuck out to me: "'Children are made readers on the laps of their parents'" (Michael, 2012). Growing up I always read with my mom and dad, typically before bedtime. Today, my dad does nothing but read all day and my mom and I often swap books and talk about our favorite parts. I realize not everyone loves reading, but I think because I've grown up surrounded by books I have more of an interest in books than I would have if I didn't read with my parents at home. This Scholastic article talks about the importance of reading with your children everyday; not for a long amount of time, just 20 minutes or so. Taking a small part of your day to read with your children is easy to do and will help develop habits in your family. This time is also a great bonding time for parents and children because everyone is engaged in the same story. 

1 comment:

  1. I too agree it is important for parents to read with their children. In third and fourth grade, however, I seem to run into a problem. When parents are reading with their child THE PARENT is the one reading - not the child. At this age, this is not supporting the student's fluency goals and decoding strategies. It seems like parents want to hold onto their "babies" by reading to them, however it would be more beneficial to allow the child to read while still having bonding time.

    ReplyDelete